LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A Tale of 2 Chuan Kees

I simply had to assure myself that my neighbourhood's Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck is just as good as the one at Ghim Moh Market, that Michelin keeps citing. It simply is not fair that my neighbourhood market never gets cited in the Michelin list.

I feel offended. Hmmmmph!

So, when I went to Lower Delta Rd today for an errand, I dropped by Ghim Moh Market to try for myself. Either Petunia's palate is biased or those people at Michelin never even bothered to come to Chong Pang to taste the food. I swear to you that the Chong Pang branch is better on 4 counts...
- the plating
- the rice
- the soup
- the service

Messy plating.

The stall at Chong Pang Market is very particular about plating. I have never had a plate handed to me looking messy like the above. Every plate that I have ever had from the Chong Pang branch has come out looking like it could sashay down a catwalk alongside a Guo Pei dress or an Abercrombie & Fitch male model, AND look better than both of them.

Abercrombie & Fitch male models + 2. The plate of braised duck rice looks better than these male models minus 2.

The process at the stall is slightly different too. At Chong Pang Market, I am served the tray with all the cutlery nicely and neatly placed next to the plate. At Ghim Moh, I had to go pick out my own cutlery after getting my plate of food. 

The rice tastes different too. It is hard to get rice to the exact point of doneness where each grain is separately chewy. The stall at Chong Pang Market can do that consistently. The plate of rice I had at Ghim Moh had rice that was a tad overcooked and so, not quite as chewy as it should be. I also thought the soup somewhat less flavoursome.

Of course, I could be biased. In any case, I have assured myself that my neighbourhood market is in no way inferior to Ghim Moh Market. In fact, we're better. In fact, I am now quite pleased that my local branch does not get cited. Then, the crowds will all go to Ghim Moh instead.

Having ascertained this, I next queued up for 40 minutes at Guan Kee Fried Kway Teow. Unfortunately, I cannot review it because the nice lady told me that it was impossible to make me a dish of her food, without yellow noodles. Since I am celiac, I cannot eat her food. I did tapau 1 packet for The Daughter (since I had already queued for 40 minutes).







No comments: