LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Chong Pang vs Northpoint City

I am such a creature of habit that I need an external push to change. For months already, I have developed the habit of eating tauhuey &/or lunch at Chong Pang Market every day. It seemed like a cost effective way to settle my lunch. When the children were little, I cooked all the meals to ensure that they ate healthy and fresh food.

Now, The Daughter works and The Son is in the army. I only need to feed myself and the helper. I have absolutely no motivation to cook for just the 2 of us. Eating out at lunch also gives me a chance to stretch my legs. Chong Pang Market has become a habit. However, this habit is not tenable when the market is closed, when the market is too hot or when there is haze. 

This week Chong Pang Market is closed for washing. I had to go to Northpoint City. 

Previously, I had only compared the prices of drinks. Looking at drinks comparison, I had thought that I would spend double in Northpoint than in Chong Pang. Today, I did a more thorough quantitative vs qualitative comparison. It turns out that in totality, Northpoint City does offer a good alternative as a daily lunch place.

Chong Pang Market
Teh si = $1
Meal = $5
Tauhuey = $0.80
Total = $6.80

Northpoint City
Teh si = $2.30
Meal = $6
Tauhuey = $1.60
Total = $9.90

Quantitatively, I spend $3.10 more at Northpoint City. This extra money pays for the airconditioned surroundings, cleaner tables and absence of mynahs (who scavenge off the uncleared tables at Chong Pang Market). $3.10 is not too bad a premium to pay for a more pleasant lunch experience. Else, I keep having to decide where in Chong Pang Market is the coolest place to sit at various times of the day.

Qualitatively, I like it that I can easily buy the best tutu kuehs I have ever had from Eastern Rice Dumplings. I also like that I can have the option to add tang yuan to my tauhuey from Mr. Bean. If I like, I can have nice chendol too. Getting good dessert is problematic in Chong Pang Market. I also love that Ban Heng Teochew Porridge offers many vegetable dishes. Also Northpoint City is right next to 925 Chicken Rice which is a better chicken rice stall than the one in Chong Pang Market.

I think it is good to get a kick in the pants to motivate me to try something new and to develop new daily habits.










No comments: