LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Narcissist's Prayer


Watch THIS first.

Most people have a respect for truth. That is to say that when we tell lies, our heart rate goes up. We don't feel good about telling lies. That is not true about those with narcissistic personality disorder. Narcissists can fool lie detector tests because they do not have the same physiological response when they have to tell a lie.

Donald Trump is not my President. So, I take very little interest in him. However, given the relevance of Covid19 to the whole world, one inevitably listens in to Donald Trump's briefs. In the beginning, it was just noise for me.

Increasingly a pattern has begun to form. As the pattern formed, it hit me that this man is a textbook Grandiose Narcissist. So, I thought I would be interesting to feature him for my readers. If you have watched the videolink above, you will notice that Trump does all of the above, in the Narcissist's Prayer.

There is another type of narcissist. This is the Vulnerable Narcissist. This type is very humble, soothing, quiet and vulnerable on the surface but the need for...
- admiration
- constant affirmation
- constant attention is no less
The vulnerable narcissist gets a high from being admired, protected and pitied. He/she will lie her way to that end.

Both types of narcissists enact The Narcissist's Prayer above.

In parent coaching, narcissistic parents are not really interested in learning how to cope better. What they really want is constant affirmation, admiration and attention from me. Such narcissistic parents sabotage all my efforts to help by lying about what they do and have done. Such parents are also incapable of investing the emotional effort into supporting their children emotionally. Instead, they need and crave the emotional support of their children and spouses.

The most heartbreaking cases I encounter are narcissistic parents. In the process of coaching, I am also vulnerable. I also get hurt because I feel the pain of the children, and yet, unless I adopt the children myself and cut off the parent, I cannot shield the children from pain. Narcissistic personality disorder is very resistant to therapy. This is because the persons who get hurt are NOT the narcissist himself.

If you have a narcissist in your life, these books may help : HERE and HERE.


No comments: