LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Nasty Old Folks

Nasty young people grow into nasty old people. No, really! A lot of old folks hang out in Chong Pang Market. Most are normal people. Some are downright nasty. People don't change from nasty to nice when they grow old, you know. Nasty people stay nasty. In my teens, I learnt that just because a man looks old enough to be my grandfather, does not mean he treats me like his grand daughter.

My mother-in-law was critical and intrusive. In her 80s, she is still critical and intrusive, except that I too have grown older, and learnt to be nasty too.

At Chong Pang Market, I sometimes have run-ins with nasty old folks. One old lady kicked Pistachio as he sat quietly under a chair. Another old lady sneezed into my drink and then challenged me to stay at home if I were afraid to die. Yet another old lady yelled at those around her rudely, "Get out of my way!" Again and again, loud mouthed old men like to queue up so near to me that their chests touch my back. In one case, when I placed my trolley behind me to prevent that, the old man came up beside me, shoulder-to-shoulder.

Which part of 1m distance do these people not understand?

As one grows older, one should grow a thicker skin, a softer heart and a wiser brain. Some people grow a thinner skin, a harder heart and triple in stupidity.

With better enforcement, the old folks at Chong Pang Market are now behaving better. There are still the very stubborn ones who proudly wear no mask and diss those who do. Today, I saw 2 people in Chong Pang Market who were not masked. Both wore expressions of proud disdain.

Why? Why are people like that?






No comments: