LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Common Sense

From the start, logic told me that even a cloth mask is better than no mask. When I advocated for the use of cloth masks, people looked unconvinced. The research in hospital environments clearly showed that cloth masks were a vector for disease because cloth masks got dirty, and were improperly handled in a high viral load situation. Any tool, improperly used, will have negative consequences. Cloth masks need frequent washing. The cloth traps viral particles. If your hands touch  those particles and then touch your face, you WILL get Covid19.

So, whilst I advocate the use of cloth masks, I also want to stress that cloth masks need to be used correctly. 

People should not depend on the government’s gift of a single mask. They should stock up on their own. Each person should have at least 4 changes of cloth masks. These masks should be kept in a clean plastic bag when clean. Once used, they should be kept in a different plastic bag meant for keeping dirty cloth masks.

Researchers are trained to be sceptical when reading research reports. We know that there are ALWAYS conditions in the real world that are NOT accounted for in research done under experimental conditions. So, one must always use common sense. When I saw how people were liberally sneezing and coughing into the air, it was clear to me that a frequently washed cloth mask was NECESSARY protection. People should think with their own brains, instead of blindly trusting a research report. In theory, if sick people wear masks, well people don’t have to.

Real life is not theoretical.

Real life is full of people who do illogical things - like the old man proudly defiant, standing in the middle of the crowd without his mask. It is losers like that who have done nothing to be proud of in their lives, who find pride in something so ignoble.

I am just gobsmacked that Singaporeans are so unused to thinking for themselves that they only do what they must to protect themselves, and others, when the government tells them to. I approached my favourite hawkers TWICE to get them to wear masks. To me, the logic was clear. Any asymptomatic individual queuing up at their stall could pass one of them the disease. If they too were asymptomatic, imagine how much viral load would land on the food they are selling to hundreds of people a day. This said, I also understand why they don't want to wear masks. Their work environment is hot and humid. Those masks must be so uncomfortable.

Both times, they told me that if they put on masks, it would scare away customers. That is thinking that an autistic person will never understand - the power of appearances. What appears safe, is NOT. I have never been taken in by appearances. A smile means nothing when actions don't back it up. So, I resolved to stay away from any hawker stall where workers were NOT masked. 

Thank goodness the government has stepped in to mandate that all hawkers must be masked. Now, I am concerned with  food delivery. I cannot see whether those in the take away kitchens, are masked. Any food we order in from outside needs to be microwaved before we eat it. I will still drive out to tapau food.

Don’t just obey the government to stay safe. Think and stay safe. Use common sense. 






No comments: