LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Picard Bag Repair

My Picard Bag.

This is my favourite handbag. It isn't even a woman's bag. Picard sells it in the men's section, as a man's backpack. I loved this bag from Day 1. I saw it first, in passing, when shopping for The Husband's ties. I put it down and out of my mind when I saw the price tag, $199. 

Handbags should never cost more than $60.

Then, The Husband needed a briefcase. As The Husband browsed Picard briefcases, I cuddled the bag. Fate had brought us together again, me and my bag. I stood there caressing the soft leather, and admiring the elegant curves of the bag. I marvelled at how the bag compartments seemed to be designed for my habits, and my belongings. The label, "Picard," even shares the "P," of Petunia.

So, I bought it. 

Every 3 months, I rubbed mink oil into the leather to keep it supple. After 3 years of use, the bag has kept its shape and its leather has aged into a pleasing patina. It looks used. It is. It looks loved. It is. 

Then, I discovered the fraying strap. In a panic, I drove to Picard at Metro, Causeway Point to buy a new one. The new one is not like the old one. The old one had a different personality. It had wrinkles. It gleamed at certain places where I liked to rub my fingers, just to feel its softness. It felt familiar, like an old 臭. So, I mourned my broken bag.

Then, I found a leather bag hospital to send it to: HERE.

The Leather Bag Doctor marvelled at the workmanship of my Picard bag. I daresay that the workmanship way surpassed a $1200 Ralph Lauren briefcase I once examined. Then, he turned it over and said, "Ah! Picard... no wonder the workmanship is so good."

Apparently, Picard is known for very good workmanship amongst people who know their leather. Thank goodness it does not cost as much as those Chanels and Hermès and stuff... Those also sell on good workmanship. Picard is well made and sensibly priced. I hope to carry that bag for another 17 years. Once that bag goes, I have another one just like it in the closet. The 2nd one should last me another 20 years. After which, I might be dead.

Now, every 3 months, I shall have the pleasure of rubbing mink oil onto 2 Picard bags.

Fraying leather strap.

Leather Bag Hospital.

No comments: