LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Loyalty

Milo is old. Sometimes, my children and I make fun of Milo's old dog problems, and we laugh. We joke about how stinky he is, and how stupid he is, and how boorish he is, compared to Pistachio. Till today, Milo has not figured out that he can get food off the table by standing up on his hind legs. He also does not know that he can move his dog bed by himself.

One day, The Husband overheard our jeers. He growled quietly at us, "Don't say bad things about Milo."

One growl from The Husband, and all of us kept quiet. Ashamed we were, that we had repaid so many years of Milo's loyal service to us with unkind jeers. Milo has grown smelly and cantankerous. Yet, he still hangs on to my every smile, and it is ever so important to Milo, that I pat him and tell him that he is a good dog.

Suddenly, I feel guilty for getting Pistachio into our lives. It seems the height of disloyalty to the dog who thinks so highly of me that he brings me his half chewed bones as love gifts. These days,  whenever I step through the door, Milo rushes at me and pushes me up against the wall. He wants to be petted and smiled at.

I had wanted Milo and Pistachio to be friends and play together. Instead, I have become the "bone of contention" between them. The thing though, Pistachio's affections are shallow. Pistachio likes everyone. Pistachio is affectionate and loving to anybody. Milo is highly selective. Only The Daughter and I, will do. Us 2, we are irreplaceable in Milo's heart.

Sigh... maybe it was not a good idea to get a 2nd dog. I don't understand. Many families have multiple dogs and it seems to work out fine. What did I do wrong?

I am ashamed to note that The Husband has a thing or 2 to teach me about loyalty. He was loyal and loving to me all through my Fat Petunia years. Men of weaker character would have strayed. He is loyal and loving to his old toy truck, which now takes pride of place on a display cabinet. He is loyal and loving to Milo, and he will brook no unkindness to Milo from any of us.

Loyal... constant... steadfast... The Husband is all these things. The thing is, I thought that I was all these things too. It turns out that I cannot hold a candle to The Husband. I have been disloyal to Milo.







No comments: