LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, June 8, 2020

Opening Up Battening Down

No photo description available.


Even as the economy is opening up, I have decided to batten down. All through the Circuit Breaker, I felt safe going to Chong Pang Market to tapau food. Now, I feel a lot less safe. I feel even less safe now that the government has taken to publishing a list of places frequented by Covid19 patients.

The good thing about the Circuit Breaker was that I developed some new habits of buying in bulk. I now tapau 10 glasses of sugar cane juice each time I go. I freeze them and have enough to last 20 days. I have also worked out a way (thanks to the kindness of those lovely braised pork guys) to not queue for my braised duck rice. Instead of 2 egg tarts a day, I now buy 12 egg tarts a week. These keep well in the fridge. Even things like nonya kueh keep up to 3 days in the fridge. Best of all, I don't need to queue for teh si kosong anymore because our home version is just as good.

I can order online for self pick-up at Coba Coba. Coba Coba has a nice open space for waiting. So, social distancing is not an issue. Yishun Park Hawker Centre hawkers have come together to share an oddle delivery platform. Toastbox delivers laksa. Mr Bean delivers tauhuey.

I managed to get a large freezer. It is still full of meat, fish and cheese. I haven't bought any vegetables for about 10 days because the garden produces more than enough. As long as I am happy to cook what I have, instead of cooking from recipes, there is little need to step out of the house. All said, I only need to make, at most, 2 trips a week to Chong Pang Market.

I've started shopping a lot more online too: meat thermometer, oil separator for soup, yoga shorts.

I reckon that I will keep to these habits even after the economy opens up.


No comments: