LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Picky Pistachio



Before Pistachio came into our lives, I thought all dogs ate indiscriminately. Lo and behold, I now discover that Pistachio eats like me. His food has to:

- look good...

- smell good...

- be on time.

Anything you give to Pistachio had better be of a certain quality standard. Else, he will sniff it carefully, won't even bother to lick it, and he will just trot away. That dish will go untouched no matter how long Pistachio goes without food. Like me, he would rather starve and eat nothing, than eat yucky food.

So now, when we cook, we need to mind Pistachio's tastes in food. That dog is not just going to eat what you give him. Surprisingly, Pistachio likes a whole range of fruits (mango, apple, peach, banana). He adores sweet potato. Every morning, he will share in my bowl of tauhuey. He won't eat duck gizzards. He hates salmon and mackerel, looks at me reproachfully if we give him minced pork. Pistachio's fish has to be mild tasting. His pork must be crispy pork belly and you had better not stinge on the crispy bits. He goes crazy happy when I come through the door carrying Michelin certified braised duck and braised pork from Chong Pang Market. My dog has Michelin tastebuds.

On evening, I had dinner brought up to the daybed in our bedroom for The Husband, who had come home late. The Husband was bathing when Pistachio devoured half his braised duck rice dinner. There was a bit of drama then. The Husband was hangry (angry because hungry). The dog had eaten half his dinner, rendering the other half inedible. Luckily, there was another packet in the fridge.


No comments: