LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, September 27, 2020

One Ninety at Four Seasons Hotel

Large and expansive seating.


My 2 children.

My pig out plate.

Best ever gluten free bread!

I love the buffet spread at One Ninety. We have been going there for years. 4 things set the One Ninety spread apart from other more well-known spreads.

(1) They serve real cheese (not Boursin, nor supermarket camembert like the Ritz Carlton)
(2) They serve fresh burrata (which The Line at Shangri-la does not)
(3) They are very careful with my gluten free diet.
(4) They make excellent gluten free bread.

When you are celiac, you can either eat very cheaply in hawker centres like Chong Pang Market where you get to observe how food is made and then decide whether it is safe to eat, OR you have to eat in expensive places where the chef is cosmopolitan enough to know how to make food for allergies.

At One Ninety, knowing I am celiac, the kitchen will clean the grill before grilling my meat. I normally don't inconvenience people like that. So, I don't order grilled meat. If I order French fries, they will change the whole pot of oil to make sure there is no cross-contamination. They refuse to serve me butter because they are afraid that some microscopic breadcrumbs have landed on the butter that is often used for normal bread.

Bread is one of the cheapest things to buy and eat, unless you are celiac and need gluten free bread. I have quite given up trying to make gluten free bread. It never tastes like real bread. The gluten free bread at One Ninety does. For someone who cannot eat real bread, this is a real treat. It is also a costly treat. Sigh!

We haven't been back to One Ninety for a long while. The last time we went there, I was still on speaking terms with my mother-in-law. I haven't spoken to her for 2 years. So, it must have been more than 2 years since we last went. It is not a place to go regularly, you know.

The Daughter and The Son were both on leave. I proposed a nice lunch at One Ninety. I was a bit apprehensive about how Covid19 would be managed in a buffet. I need not have worried! The buffet stood majestically behind clear glass. I pointed and was served by a chef on the other side. Tables were spaced far apart. There was almost no on there!

Instead of tap water, I now have to pay $3 for bottled alkaline water... sealed for my safety. So yes, I did feel safe and will go back again.



 

No comments: