LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Blessed Ah Yi

Ah Yi is an interesting character. He is short, thin and wiry, with a head full of hair. For a 60 year old, that hair is something that even I envy. What he lacks in height, he makes up for with chutzpah. When The Boss of the braised duck stall is not around, Ah Yi rules. His eyes are bright and mischievous, set within a face like the tanned leather of a horse saddle. 

In another place and another age, I wonder if Ah Yi might have trained as a 相声 artiste. He says the most outrageous things, and has a keen sense of comic timing.

Till I have known him till now, he has variously said to me:

- You can't cook.

- You murder your plants.

- You don't work.

- You eat too little.

- You are too skinny.

However, he says all these in the most hilarious manner. Peals of laughter bubble up from the pit of my stomach, and out through my mouth. This week though, he paid me my very first compliment. He said that I made a good wife for my husband. I could not believe he said that. This said, I can't see how a woman who can't cook, murders plants, does not work, and is too skinny... is a good wife.

Hmmmm... **scratch my head**

I wonder if I dare to secretly take a picture of him for my blog readers to see.


No comments: