LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Glowing Stones

I have this thing for stones that glow. Imagine a Neanderthal woman come across a pretty stone. She picks it up and wears it around her neck. After 30 years of wear, the stone becomes polished and translucent. It glows with an inner light, like it has a soul. With 30 years of wear and the slow reveal of glow, one can imagine that the same stone would have taken on some sort of mystical quality. 

That is why the vendor at Chong Pang Market refused to touch my green agate 平安扣 below. She said that the stones absorb people's energy and become identified/bonded to the wearer. The more one wears it, the brighter it will glow.

Of course, I think that is all nonsense but I can understand how this type of thinking came about.

I am not sure why I am not attracted to sparkle. Diamonds sparkle like stars but I feel nothing when I look at a diamond, except "Wah! Why so expensive for such a small stone ah?" Diamonds aren't even that rare. The rarity is controlled by the diamond mines.

It is the subtle inner glow of the moonstone, the opal, the jadeite and the agate that mesmerises me. My helper thinks I am mad. She shrugged and said, "It is a stone. There are many stones like these in my village. You should buy gold. Also, you should not buy gold in Singapore. It is not pure. If you want, I get my relatives to bring some gold jewellery over for you."

I stared at her in horror. "No, no, no... errr... I don't want gold. I don't like to wear gold jewellery. I like stones that glow." My helper did not look convinced. Why wear stones that she can simply pick off the country paths near her house?"

Oh well... it is MY life. I like glowing stones worn on a leather thong. I wear it for fun and when I am waiting for something or someone, I can pick up the stone and stare into its glowing soul.

Brown agate carved into a leaf.

Green agate carved into a 平安扣. This was love at first sight. I picked it up and could not put it down. Some stones are like that. Their call is strong. Thank goodness agate is not pricey and I only paid $28 for this one.

I bought these to give away to little boys who share my love for glowing stones.

No comments: