LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Ode to Grumpy

No, this is not really an ode. An ode is a lyrical poem written in praise of something or someone. Grumpy is more likely to write a lyrical poem than Petunia. Petunia writes prose. However, this prose post is meant to say SOME nice things about Grumpy.

Grumpy's unwanted radishes.

Petunia's radish stew.

Grumpy ungraciously refused to accept my little gift offerings of elderflower cordial ("Cannot appreciate," growled Grumpy), tauhuey ("Next time, don't bring," he said), bubur hitam ("Your one not nice," he hinted). I tried to invite Grumpy to lunch. A terse, "No," blinked into my phone. Then, I offered him seeds. "Don't want," came the next terse reply. I asked if he wanted to come see my garden. "Don't feel like," he said.

He has the manners of a Neanderthal.

This said, Grumpy can be charming if he wants to be. I brought my favourite little autistic boy to view Grumpy's garden. Like any well brought up young person, my favourite little autistic boy offered Grumpy a box of chocolates. Grumpy said kindly, "Oh! I like chocolates very much! So, thank you very much." 

There is SOME humanity inside of that man. It just does not appear when it normally should.

Anyway, Grumpy is responsible for giving me half my garden. He gave me a blackberry plant, goji berry plants, mani cai, buah cherry, purslane, bok choy seeds in the millions. I regret being too paiseh to take his beautiful black tomatoes (which I knew would so much please The Husband).  I will always be thankful that I was not too paiseh to cart home 5 fig trees (which The Husband loves so much) from Grumpy's garden. This week, I was beneficiary of his snail bitten radishes. I carted home a delicious armful.

Thank you Grumpy! You are a nice Neanderthal.









No comments: