LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Fermented Pork Belly

I adapted the recipe HERE to make Thai naem.

It started when I had a craving for Pig's Trotters in Black Vinegar. One economy rice stall at Chong Pang makes that dish every Thursday and Sunday. So, for a few weeks, I would buy 2 bowls a week from them. M is Myanmese. Her home and village relied heavily on fermentation to preserve food. So, M is also partial to sour flavours. Everything she eats is sour and spicy.

When she tasted my pig's trotters, she sniffed and then she said that she would make me sour pork the way her mom makes it. When she described the process to me, I turned pale. I stopped her until I could get a proper fermentation crock for anaerobic fermenting. Then, I researched the process to death.

Today, I took my very first step into fermenting meat.

To be very safe, I used 50% alcohol rum to sterilise the meat before rubbing on the sticky rice. I also used tons of salt. Once done, I intend to follow dianxi xiao ge's recipes HERE, to cook the meat.




No comments: