LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, November 6, 2020

Chong Pang Love Affair

My Chong Pang love affair continues. There was a hiatus of a few months because of Covid19. This week, as long as I get there before the crowds do, I can have a nice bowl of tauhuey and a teh si kosong, whilst reading a book, or typing a report.

The problem with going too early is that the shops aren't open. So, if I want to buy something from the shops, I have to go back again. So, there is only a small window of optimum time to get in and get out. From 7.15 am to 8.15 am, I can have my tauhuey and do my shopping.

Today's haul was 2 choppers, and a sharpening stone. If not for Liziqi, I would not have bought a chopper. Since everything and anything about Liziqi is cool, and these choppers look vaguely like hers, I bought TWO for $32. These 2 knives would probably cost $320 in Takashimaya. Yesterday, I came home with a $10 quilt for M.

I have 7 years more to enjoy Chong Pang Market in the mornings, and I am going to make the most of these 7 years. In 2028, the market will move into a 4 storey air-conditioned complex. I can't see how they are going to do that whilst preserving the down to earth flavours of the original Chong Pang Market.

So, my Chong Pang love affair continues unabated. That is the sign of a good relationship you know: a relationship that can weather storms. Me and my market, we have weathered the Covid19 storm. Our relationship has matured into one of familiarity. No one winks at me. No one tries to touch my hand. In fact, no one even notices I am there. When there are many people, it is easy to disappear and not get noticed.

Now, I shall wait till the vaccine comes out, and when that time comes, I will contrive (somehow) to make the boss of my favourite hawker stall sit down and tell me his life story. I mean, someone must document these stories, right? For posterity? It has all gotta be done before 2028, before the market disappears forever from the face of this earth.

The market is a social world all on its own. In that world, the boss of my favourite hawker stall stands head and shoulders above others. The other workers call him the golden dragon.

Wah! Maybe if I can be like Liziqi, someone will call me a golden phoenix!


Look! The chopper even has sexy Chinese calligraphy on it. So pretty!

This one does not look as good but it is smaller and lighter.


No comments: