LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, May 22, 2020

The Braised Pork Boys Loyalty Program

You know how SIA has those different lounges? There is the SilverKris Lounge, the KrisFlyer Lounge blah blah blah... I have never figured out how those lounges work. Sometimes, The Husband says it is ok to go. Other times, we have to hang around in the cafes and shops instead. The lounges are the perquisites of the SIA Loyalty Program.

Petunia belongs to the Braised Pork Boys' Herbal Tea Loyalty programme. My long and deliberate campaign to get on the good side of those men has paid off during Covid19. The fellow outside sees me from afar, knows my order and yells loudly, "大姐来了" whereupon the fellow within immediately starts preparing my order. I wave happily at them, turn around and then scamper off to get teh si kosong. By the time I am back, my order is ready.

In normal times, the queue at the braised pork stall can stretch for 30 minutes. I hate waiting. So, I went on a charm offensive. I tried to give the braised pork boys all sorts of stuff. I soon found out how hard they were to please. The most expensive pineapple tarts in Singapore were judged, "a bit sour." Home made banana cake was judged, "too sweet... we don't like sweet." Avocados were described as "we don't know how to eat these." Home made chocolate truffles were "too bitter."

Wah... super hard to please.

It is not surprising that these men have discerning palates. All good hawkers do. They are food professionals, after all. They did not like the food I gave them but they did honour the heart that went with the gift. They still accepted the gifts even if they thought my gifts not very nice.

Then, I found things that they really liked:
- home brewed herbal tea
- home grown organic vegetables.

Wah! It is not easy to get on their loyalty programme leh... Herbal tea needs to be brewed overnight in the thermal pot. Organic vegetables are even more expensive in time and effort. I don't mind though. In normal times, not having to queue means that I save 30 minutes a day. In times of Covid19, I appreciate not having to wait for my order even more.

Best of all, it is not the sort of impersonal loyalty programme à la SIA, circumscribed by calculated rules. These men really do want to be kind to me, personally. Best of all, these men are always polite and respectful.

There are 2 stalls that I never buy from at that foodcourt. One stall owner ran his fat finger left and right along my palm. Another person came up too close behind me once. Autistic people are sensitive to touch. My hair stands now, every time I see these 2.





No comments: