LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, May 22, 2020

A Review of Different Mask Types

I have been obsessed with reusable masks. Every new design inspires in me, instant craving. I want that. I need that. I must have that. I have built up an impressive collection of reusable masks. I am still missing the anti-bacterial ones that the government is distributing. I can't wait to add that to my reusable mask collection. Maybe one day, I can open a mask museum.

For what it's worth, here is my review of all the different mask types.

This is the Gill Mask. This provides surgical mask level protection but makes 1 surgical mask go a long way. I can cut 6 rectangles from 1 surgical mask to fit the filter window. The mask is comfortable. It is quite easy to breathe in it. The silicon piece is easy to wash and to dry. It can be worn around the head or hooked to the ears. Each rectangular cut out piece can last 2 whole days of wear. This means that 1 surgical mask can last 12 days of wear.

This is a reusable cloth pocket for a surgical mask. You insert the surgical mask into the cloth pocket and wear the whole pocket on your face. It provides surgical mask level protection and each surgical mask can last The Husband 5 whole days of work, if I change the reusable cloth sleeve daily. It is harder to breathe with this compared to wearing the surgical mask on its own. 

This is a reusable cloth sleeve. Slip it over the surgical mask and then, use the surgical mask's own ear loops to wear onto your face. I dislike this design because it interferes with the fit of the surgical mask. I also have to iron the sleeve to make it fit the surgical mask better. Too much trouble!

I got these for $2 a piece. I love the flowers on them but because of the 3 layers of cloth, these masks trap heat and moisture. They can get wet and uncomfortable from prolonged wear. I wear these the most often to Chong Pang Market because I don't stay long there and I like that these can be washed very frequently.  I quite like these because they smell nice after being washed and sunned. These do not provide protection that is anywhere close to surgical mask levels. So, I only use them in hot and humid conditions where aerosol spread is most unlikely, and I change them out every hour.

The Totobobo mask does not mould well to my face. The filters are also expensive. These are designed for larger particulate matter so are better for haze than for viral matter. I am not sure how easy it is to breathe in these because I have never been able to get them to fit my face properly.

These are N95 masks with an option for a battery operated ventilator attachment. Even with the ventilator, it is quite hard to breathe in these. For high viral load situations, I have them just in case we need to go to the hospital or the doctor's clinic. In those situations, I will also wear a face shield.

This is the 3M half faced respirator. It can be fitted with different types of filter pads made for different types of hazardous conditions. However, these only filter out particulate matter of 0.3 microns and above. Viral particles can be 0.06 microns in diameter. So, this mask is good for the haze but it is not good for viral matter. It makes me look really sexy to outer space aliens too! It is very easy to breathe in this because the design has an easy breathe vent which expels air. If you are sick, this mask would not protect others from you.

2 comments:

Rachel Tan said...

I think the Gill Mask provides a level of protection that is better than that of a surgical mask, due to (1) its seal at the sides; and (2) there is no contact with the surgical mask filter hence there is no degradation of the surgical mask material, whereas with normal wear, perspiration and direct skin contact with the Gill Mask will cause the mask to deteriorate.

Regarding the Totobobo, if I do not recall wrongly, your frame is petite hence I think you will fit the S/M size much better than the regular adult size. The S/M sized mask does come in either blue or pink filter caps (which can look quite cute).

Most surgical masks are too big / loose for me and I have to tie knots at the earloops. I generally do not like to touch masks so I don' enjoy frequent adjustments whether at the ear loops or nose bridge.

I believe high threadcount cloth masks can filter particles quite substantially, but I have yet to explore (I can't sew / have not figured out how to use a sewing machine).

Have fun experimenting!

Just my two cents.

Petunia Lee, PhD said...

Yep... I agree that it provides better protection that the surgical mask! I have that problem of sizing with the normal surgical mask too. Petite is the word. I have a whole gamut of cloth masks of different materials. Hahahaha! This is getting to be a collecting hobby.