LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, March 20, 2020

My Happy Place

Every year, at around February, I start to identify students who are ready for PSLE English. We have all worked hard for 3 years. I front loaded them for P4 and P5, meaning that I stressed them in P4 and P5 with demanding work. By P6, they are ready.

There is no teacher under the sun who can time learning completion so well that the child is ready just before PSLE. It is my job to get the children ready with time to spare. I chase away my best students by end-Feb of their P6 year. I do so for 3 reasons:

(1) I know they are strong enough to walk the rest of the journey without me as their crutch.

(2) They need a few months to find their footing and peak by PSLE.

(3) The experience of finding their footing builds maturity and confidence. The children go into Sec 1 knowing that they can make it without a tutor. Remember that with me, giving the children a Headstart in Maturity is an important thing - Click HERE.

With a bit of nudging, most parents and children take my advice to withdraw. Once in a while, one meets a child so very determined to stay that I am stuck. Some years back, there was one who melted into a puddle saying, "I cannot withdraw. This is my Happy Place."

This year, I have another.

Me: You are ready for PSLE. You should withdraw.

Student: No!

Me: Wouldn't you appreciate having more free time on Saturday afternoon?

Student: No!

Me (appealing to Child's Mama): Mama, perhaps you can talk to him?

Mama: The class is very small already. Let us not bother Dr. Pet to run the class.

Student: No!

Mama (to me): He won't want to withdraw. This is his Happy Place.

To be frank, I am reluctant to see this child leave me. In my heart, he is a very special little one.

No comments: