LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, February 7, 2020

Thomson Nature Park


When we lived in France, as a young dating couple, we were housed on the outskirts of town. All we needed to do was to get out of our univesrsity lodgings to be able to take walks along tree lined paths.  It was a really short walk to the Canal du Midi. I walked along its banks in all seasons - spring, summer, fall and winter.

Later on, when we moved to the USA, the children had arrived to complete our little family. Every afternoon, in every season, I would take my children out to the many parks and nature reserves nearby. We climbed trees and looked into robins' nests. We watched mother ducks waddle along with a whole line of yellow ducklings trailing behind. We went fishing. Once, we caught a fish the size of my hand, which we lost because a huge fish of about 1.5 feet long came and ate our catch from off the line. When we came back from the USA, The Son was miserable. He kept asking me, "Mommy, where are the trees?" We had to bring him to Macritchie Reservoir on weekends just to satisfy his need to walk among the trees. Once there, I remember that The Son breathed a sigh.

Nonetheless, everywhere you go in Singapore, there are people. This little island is so densely populated that even out among the trees, there are often hordes of people. So, I was ever so pleased to find a new park along Upper Thomson Road that has relatively fewer people.

The Husband and I had a lovely walk through this park. It was so lovely that I think I will go again next Monday or Tuesday morning at opening time (else, it gets hot) with Tachio on leash.










No comments: