LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Paris: The Voluptuous Courtesan

I had never liked Paris. To me, Paris is not France. France is found outside of Paris, in the smaller towns and even smaller villages. Walking along the streets of Paris, you hear a cacophony of languages: Russian, Arabic, Spanish, Italian.

This time, I adored Paris. Paris, after Berlin was gay and light-hearted. Berlin's historical buildings sat on the landscape like dignified hulks exuding military power: a warrior in uniform. Parisian buildings, even though just as big in size, came across as friendly and cheerful: a voluptuous courtesan.

Berlin historical architecture: a warrior in uniform.

Parisian historical architecture: a voluptuous courtesan. Note the vine leaves carved into the facade?

Parisian Brasserie (aka their corner kopi tiam) decorated in the colours of a bordello.

This is Parisian kopi tiam food ok!

Even water looks chic in Paris.

Fresh flowers are a thing, you know.

I shall get hub to get me a bouquet later today.

Only in Paris will you find a bread shop that looks like a palace.

In the past, I did not enjoy Paris as much because I had no money to spend. Paris is a voluptuous courtesan, remember? To enjoy it, you need to spend money on it. A meal in a brasserie costs at least 30 euros. The Husband and I, as students in Paris, we got by with bread, ham, yoghurt and cheese picnics on the sidewalk. Now, I can afford 30 euros a meal (especially since I only eat one meal a day). It felt good to walk in Paris.

People complain that Parisian waiters are rude. That has never been my experience. Parisian waiters are usually men. If a woman smiles sweetly at a French man, he will soften and be very gentle and kind. In Singapore, it is a no no to smile sweetly at men. They will start to have bad thoughts, and you will become a slut. In France, they will simply be gentler and kinder. The French understand the concept of Explicit Consent.

I found a gluten free cafe! Super yummy apple tart.

Sidewalk cafe in Paris.

A couple of bears chilling in a Parisian café.


















No comments: