LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Gill, Rouen

Gill is a Michelin 2 star restaurant. I went to a Michelin 1 star restaurant in Singapore once for lunch, and was sorely disappointed. From food to service, it was disappointing. I went to Putien for lunch and never went back because they served me something I had to complain about. Then, I tried to make an appointment at yet another Michelin 1 star who told me curtly that they cannot provide gluten free options.

So, we have decided to eat at a Michelin star restaurant in every town we stop at, in France.

Gill is in Rouen. It is helmed by Gilles Tournadre. I called ahead and left my credit card details to book a table. I let them know that The Husband and I needed gluten free food. They said, "No problem." Today, I made a booking at Le Donjon, a Michelin 1 star restaurant in Étretat and alerted them to our food allergy. They also said, "No problem."

When we arrived at Gill, there were toasted gluten free buns all ready. The service was friendly, dignified and elegant. The maître d'hôte explained each dish and helped advise on our orders.

As a student in France, I used to stare through the doors at Michelin starred restaurants wistfully. Now,  I can walk in and eat.

A more contemporary decor than La Couronne.

Amuse-bouches: newer cooking methods and plating options than La Couronne.


Very good gluten free buns.

Surprise starters at the chef's discretion.

Lobster.

Calf's head: a Normandie specialty.

The desserts on the menu all had gluten. This was prepared specially for us.




No comments: