LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, November 20, 2021

Musée d'Orsay

La Musée d'Orsay houses France's collection of impressionist paintings. The first time I visited (more than 30 years ago) time ran out before I could see the whole collection. Just before Covid19 hit, a partial exhibition came to Singapore. I saw that too. Somehow, I always felt unsatisfied. It felt like eating just 2 bites of a good meal, and then have no time to eat the rest.

In 2009, I came to Paris with the children. They had no interest in impressionist paintings. So, after some discussion, I gave in and denied my own wishes. This time, I made sure I had a whole day to spend on this one museum.

Impressionist painters moved away from traditional painting, which depicted religious tableaux. They painted reality.


Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

The 2 paintings showcased in the museum were faded and damaged. They also looked like they had been cut up and then pieced together again. Apparently, the were painted as posters and used for advertisement. Nonetheless, the distinctive style that is Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec was clear. It was good to see the originals up close.

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec painted a whole series of life in the brothels.






Edgar Degas
Edgar Degas was fascinated by movement. His paintings and sculptures portray movement.



You can feel the movement in this piece, as the girl stretches backwards.

Degas love to paint the movement of ballerinas.

Another Degas sculpture depicting movement.

More sculptures depicting movement.


Renoir
I like Renoir best. The paintings are infused with a downy softness. Renoir painted every day people getting along.







There were many other painters featured. There is no space in my blog to explore each one. So, I have only shown my 3 favourite painters.


No comments: