LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, July 13, 2020

Embroidery Project and a Cloud


I tried to buy new quilt cover sets. 20 years ago, I bought numerous sets from Sintex, which were beautifully embroidered. The Husband liked them. He thought they lent an air of elegance to the bedroom.

With wear and tear, we have retired most of them. I replaced them with quilt covers of large flower prints. I thought these might lend some cheerful colour to the room. The Husband hated them. Now, it is time to retire those as well.

The embroidered quilt cover sets on sale right now, are really pricey. Some cost about $500 and the designs look like they come out of some sort of Gothic style palace, dripping with chandeliers and gold fittings. Yuck!

So, I made the gung ho decision to embroider my own simple garden friendly designs, in my favourite colours of yellow and orange. I ordered 2 sets of plain white quilt covers and intend to embroider 5 of the above bouquets of Black-eyed Susans, chamomile and Queen Anne's lace flowers onto the plain white quilt covers. The quilt cover set costs $67. The embroidery supplies cost about $120. Then will come the slow embroidery work. It will be fun and I save about $300. Plus, I get a bespoke quilt cover.

I will embroidery a row of 5 bouquets near to the foot of the bed, about 1/3 way up from the bottom edge of the quilt.

Thinking to get cheap embroidery supplies, I went to Daiso. I did not get any embroidery supplies but I ran into a pile of yarn that felt so soft that it seemed almost to be made of cloud. Autistic, you see. Some of us are touch sensitive. We react badly to unwelcome touch but we also seek out touch sensations that we enjoy. So, I stood there compulsively rubbing the yarn with my fingers. For $20, I bought 10 balls of the yarn. It felt so good to knit with it. Since the yarn was thick, I used humongous size 50 knitting needles. Big needles knit fast. I finished knitting one scarf for M's Mother in 1 hour.

There is no way to explain to M that thick yarn does not mean warm clothes. Thin pullovers made of silk and cashmere wool keep a person warmer than thick sweaters made of acrylic yarn. M likes thick sweaters and scarves. So, she was thrilled when I gave the scarf to her, for her Mom. It is a win win. I don't like thick winter clothes. I just like feeling the yarn on my fingers, as I knit. I am happy. M is happy.




No comments: