LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, May 21, 2021

Mother's Day 2021

 


I am starting to feel a little bad for Mother's Day. On Mother's Day, I get gifts from The Husband, the children and even the helper. The Husband gave me 3 pairs of earrings. The children gave me a home made coaster detailing that I had graduated top from Mommy School. The helper busted all the stops to cook me a feast. 


The Feast

I had no idea it was my Mother's Day gift from M. I thought it odd that out of the blue, she insisted on going shopping for beef, veggies and rice. I kept saying that we had enough beef, veggies and rice in the fridge. I told her that I should be paying for the groceries. M insisted stubbornly. So, I let her be. Only this morning did she explain, in her halting English and a lot of hand gestures that HER mother had asked HER to make me a meal since I was as good as a mother would be to M.

The funny thing about M is that she does not smile, nor does she even look pleased. When I thank her, she looks away but man, the effort she put into cooking that meal!


The Coaster

The Son apologised that my Mother's Day gift would be late. Apparently, they ran into a design issue and then had to wait for the machine to free up. So, ok. This morning, I found it on the 2nd floor landing, still smelling of wood varnish.

The story goes that a little girl fell and cut herself. Her mother told her to go and get her wound disinfected and then explained why. The girl was awed and said, "Mama, how do you know these things?"

The mother replied, "I went to Mommy School."

The girl asked, "Then, what about Daddies?

The mother did not know how to reply. After a while, the girl said, "Ohhhhh I know! Those who fail Mommy School, become Daddies!"

As each year passes, I see more and more Daddies take an active hand in child rearing. In my practice, I have single parent Daddies too! The divorce court granted these Daddies custody, and the children live with their Daddies. Gee, my favourite braised pork stall is run by someone who puts fatherhood front and centre in his life. He would put many mothers to shame. These fathers are excellent parents! So, I feel a bit bad that the prevailing culture celebrates motherhood, and puts down fatherhood. Sorry mates... I feel your pain. It's just that men don't verbalise these things because it makes them seem like wussies. Unfair is unfair. 

Fathers matter.

In the last 20+ years, The Husband gives me presents for Mother's Day. I have never given him a Father's Day present. The children don't either. My poor husband... he is such a excellent Father too!


The Earrings

No one remembers my birthday. Often, I myself don't remember my own birthday. However, for Mother's Day, The Husband spoils me rotten. I really must get off my butt and do something nice for Father's Day.

No comments: