LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, May 3, 2021

Artisanal and Bespoke

Years ago, The Husband wanted to offer my a gift for our wedding anniversary, from Tiffany & Co. When I saw the prices and looked at the wares, I decided not to spend his money. Tiffany & Co is a jeweller with global presence. Its designs are produced for anyone in many countries willing to fork out money to buy. The prices were steep and the designs were not exclusive. I would be one of hundreds and thousands of women to own the same necklace.

Why bother?

I went looking for a local craftsman, explained what was in my head. Just like that, with a few sketches, I got me a bespoke keepsake. In those days, people were still starry-eyed about luxury brands: Chanel, Burberry, Prada, Louis Vuitton... with all their in-your-face logos.

It was all so expensive too.

So, for handbags, I decided to approach the Italian leather ateliers directly. Each leather artisan has his/her distinctive style. I got the bag below from Parise. Their website is HERE. They make very distinctive woven leather bags. The weave is achieved on an 18th century treadle loom. Anytime you see a weave like so, you know that it is a Parise bag. The leather is soft as a baby's skin. It is luxury without the crazy prices. Best of all, there is no in-your-face brand logo on the bag exterior. If you bother to search, you will find a reputable leather atelier that produces something in your style. Approach them directly and get something well-made that not many people in your social circle will have.

It is artisanal, not bespoke.

The ultimate in luxury must be bespoke (in my opinion). Something bespoke is designed just for you. Hermès designed the Birkin bag for Jane Birkin. Only she got the bespoke service leh... the rest of the world, including Mrs Najib (aka Rosmah Mansor), got copies of what was tailor made for Jane Birkin.

I like luxury at a fraction of the prices. Why pay $200 for beefsteak at Cut by Wolfgang Puck when you can get the same mouthfeel at home by cooking the sous-vide way, in a thermal pot? Why pay $15,000 for a leather bag when you can get the same luxurious leather and good workmanship from well established but unknown leather ateliers.

Woven leather from Parise.


As for jewellery, I am thrilled to recommend Tsu Yinn. Her instagram is HERE. Tsu Yinn designs jewellery for you and only you. It is nice to wear jewellery that projects my personality and individual style. Depending on the woman you are, you can have elegance and sophistication, or you can have fun and quirky asymmetric pieces. Tsu Yinn designs for every budget. She makes resin jewellery too. See below a ring Tsu Yinn designed and crafted, for a friend. Stunning huh? 


Bespoke jewellery by Tsu Yinn.

Bespoke Education

My love for the bespoke and the artisanal has spilled over into my work. I approach my students as child crafting. 12 children in 1 EQ class, all learn different things. We profile each child individually. We know each child deeply. Often, we also know their parents deeply. And we craft each child into the innate shape that God placed in him/her. We surface innate strengths and find creative ways to turn weaknesses into strengths.




1 comment:

Helen L. said...

Hi Dr Petunia,

Hope all is well with you! Not sure if you remember me , I had a consultation with you at your home almost a decade ago.

Thanks for the recommendation on the jewellery - unique and beautiful designs !