LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Monday, January 20, 2020

The Seletar Country Club: Part 2

I realised that despite The Seletar Country Club being such a big part of our lives (when our kids were small), I have never recommended it to readers. We joined the club when The Daughter was 2.5 yrs old and I started blogging only when The Daughter was 15 yrs old. It never did occur to me to blog about it, somehow.

I have not really used the facilities for many years but walking through the club today, sweet memories flooded back. Singapore is a place that is ever changing. Orchard Rd looks different from 1 year to another. The Seletar Country Club does not change. For 20+ years it has looked the same.

I highly recommend this as a practical solution to families with children who have a lot of energy to expend, and parents with no energy to spare. Little Boy had so much energy. If I did not give him an outlet, life at home would be unbearable. Instead of giving him device games, I gave him space to run around in. The Seletar Country Club has different types of membership types to suit all budgets. See HERE.

It really is not one of the prestigious clubs but it served a mother's practical needs. If you live in HDB or landed, and need a place to let kids run about or entertain relatives, this is really a Godsend.

Later on, The Son brought his girlfriend there to spend the day too. It really is a suitable place to court a young lady, and expand Petunia's little family.

Here is where I would curl up with a book (or work on my laptop) whilst my children ran amok in the spacious grounds. It is relatively MUCH safer than leaving your kids to run around freely in a public pool. I really loved entertaining large groups here during X'mas or Chinese New Year. It was safe for my guests' children. For the same price as a catered party in my home, I had access to service staff who would circulate to ensure my guests had enough food and drinks. This freed me up to make conversation and eye contact.

I know. I know. I know. I am a wimp. Being autistic, eye contact and small talk takes EFFORT. I just could not cope. The first year I entertained at home, I was so overwhelmed that I was exhausted for 2 weeks after that. Parties are not my thing.


Here is the gym where The Husband and I used to workout whilst the children went swimming. There was an amusing incident in the gym when the man on my right asked me out for a coffee, whilst another man (my husband) looked on.

The pool is strangely shaped. I did not like it because it isn't properly shaped for swimming laps but the children loved it.


This is my favourite part of the pool, a small jacuzzi at the top of the mini waterfall. It affords a fair bit of privacy and my kids loved playing with the bubbles.

I still remember this walk to the club restaurant, holding the hand of my 2 year old Little Boy, and slowing my steps.

The club restaurant overlooks one of the nicest golf courses in Singapore. I used to sit out there in the morning sun to eat my roti prata (before the onset of my celiac disease). I realise that I cannot eat breakfast there anymore because all their breakfast dishes have gluten.

The gardens have always looked lush and inviting. I learnt a lot about plants by simply walking the grounds.


There is even a live band from 8.30 pm. It is a nice place to chill out with a beer.










No comments: