LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, June 8, 2019

FOC Sentosa VS The Knolls at Capella

We love both of FOC's restaurants downtown. FOC takes food allergies seriously and all their servers know what goes into each dish. The menus are clearly marked with allergen advice, and the servers will take the trouble to ask the chef if they are unsure about ingredients. I have never been sick from eating at FOC. FOC Sentosa did not disappoint.

Our server, Charles, was AMAZING. He did not behave like a server. He behaved like a host. He made us feel at home, knew his dishes well and made intelligent decisions to maximise our comfort. The table was small and we had chosen to eat tapas. Charles changed our plates to smaller ones. He changed our plates every so often to make sure we always had clean plates. When he saw the marinara sauce in our clam and mussel dishes, he specially asked the kitchen to make gluten free bread... so that we could soak up the marinara sauce. He made good conversation and even knew the provenance of the clams (Phillipines) and mussels (France). I was so impressed that I asked his name and photographed him.

Interacting with Charles, I could not help but compare him with servers at The Knolls. Last night, our server had worked all day in an air conditioned restaurant. Yet, his uniform was crumpled and his body odour made me gag. Should not The Knolls have ensured that their wait staff maintain minimum standards of personal hygiene? Charles had spent all day in a non-airconditioned beach restaurant tending to the deck chairs, in the hot sun. Charles did not smell bad. 

Then, this morning, there was a server at The Knolls who literally HID the fresh coconuts from The Husband and lied that there were no more coconuts. Yet, he served coconuts to quite a few attractive women. I mean... The Knolls is a restaurant at Capella. Anyway, I went to ask for coconuts from the Head Waiter and I got them. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would have thought it impossible that a waiter would discriminate against male guests like that! At FOC Sentosa, Charles went to get gluten free bread for us which we did not even ask for.

Capella is expensive. The rooms are very comfortable. The Husband and I had a great time inside the villa. However, Capella's staff training and management is terrible. Staff seem quite stupid. The lady who checked me into my villa told me that she had no idea how to walk from my villa to The Knolls. She works here and has never figured it out? I am sure she is not that dumb. There is something about the way staff are managed that renders them stupid.








No comments: