LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Chong Pang Market: The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Chong Pang Market is the gift that keeps on giving. For years, I have visited the wet market at Marsiling to get produce such as fresh pork, soy beans, herbs for nasi ulam... The Chong Pang Food Centre has a market next to it, and somehow, it never occurred to me that I could go there for my wet market produce.

Well... better late than never. I did finally get around to exploring the wet market. Lo and behold, I find it has a whole lot more to offer than Marsiling Market. I really cannot fathom why I had never thought of exploring Chong Pang's wet market! On top of everything else that a wet market always has, I found curtain shops, aircon shops, watch shops, shoe shops, shops selling cute Korean fashion, jade shops, organic food shops... AND I was able to find whole sheets of rice pasta with which to make gluten free lasagna.

I even thought that some of the clothes being sold looked rather good. I pointed them out to The Husband who looked at me in horror saying, "It looks like something a clown would wear." What the dear man does not know is that I have been buying all sorts of shorts, skorts and skirts from Chong Pang Market, which he has already said looks quite cute. I do have a secret niggling fear though that perhaps a more discerning fashion eye can tell that I am poorly dressed... but that is not important.

If all that abundance and variety is not enough to fill my already overflowing cup, I experienced live entertainment through lunch at the Chong Pang Food Centre yesterday. The singers were quite good too! People of all ages showed their appreciation by singing along spontaneously and putting money into the busking box. I had intended to just buy dinner and go home but I ended up staying an hour or more, listening raptly to their songs.

Quality live entertainment usually costs an arm and a leg. I used to sit in Goodwood Park's L'Espresso Lobby to drink in the piano music. Another time, we sat through a jazz performance in some chi-chi cafe in Bali. I had to pay through my nose for all that! This was FREE! I wonder if I can get the schedule of musical performances at the market. Then, I can organise my schedule to be able to attend all the performances. Now, if it is not too much to ask, I wonder if they organise dance performances too. I would like to see the tango and the salsa being performed, if you please!

Oh my readers, please forgive my arrogance. I truly think my neighbourhood market is the best in Singapore and Batam... and maybe JB. All other middling markets located elsewhere in other people's neighbourhoods simply cannot compare with mine!

I love my market! I love my market! I love my market!

The SMV Trio performing live.

The SMV Trio's namecard.



Handbags, Korean fashion, shoes.

Curtains.

Spices and dried goods.

Organic food.

Paper offerings to the Gods and ancestors.

Veggies.

Noodles and pasta. See the long rolls of gluten free lasagna sheets?

Pots, pans, bowls, plates and cutlery.

Airconditioners.

Clocks and watches.

Eyewear.

Jade jewellery.

Shoes.

Rice lasagna sheets.

Gluten free lasagna in the making.


No comments: