LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Buying Winter Wear

It is hard to find high quality cold weather wear in Singapore. Even if you do find them, they are horrendously overpriced. I bought a $35 wool mix coat off Shein. The first blast of cold wind in Berlin went right into my bones. Shivering, I had to hurry into a mall to find a better coat. Everywhere in the mall, stylish coats abounded. I was more about warm-ish than stylish. It took a fair bit of searching to find a good woollen coat of 70% wool, 10% cashmere, and 20% synthetic. 

It was on sale too.

240 euros

Then, I noticed that people in France were no longer wearing woolen long coats, they were wearing "doudounes" which is the French word for goose down coats. Fill power is a number that measures the fluffiness and quality of a down filled product. Fill power measures the amount of space one ounce of down will occupy in cubic inches. Higher fill power means the down will have better quality, higher loft, and will retain its firmness longer. This is because higher fill power means the down can trap more air which allows for greater insulation. Common fill power measurements include 650, 750, 800 & 850. 

The Husband no longer can tolerate the cold like he used to. He decided to get himself a doudoune. It made a huge difference. He was finally warm.

290 euros

My wool coat did keep me warm, but I felt the biting wind when we walked along the fortified walls of Saint Malo. I needed to tuck my wool scarf tightly about my chest and neck to keep out the cold. I decided to buy a sleeveless doudoune to wear under my zipped up cardigan (and over my t-shirt).

It made a huge difference. I could go without my scarf entirely with this doudoune under my zipped up cardigan. Once I got indoors, I could unzip both the cardigan and the doudoune.

125 euros

The doudoune rolls up compactly into the size of a kids' pencil box.

Then, we came to a shop selling Irish cabled pullovers for between 70 to 99 euros. These were 100% merino wool. These pullovers normally retail for about 150 euros. I grabbed 4 pieces. When buying winter wear, it is very important to check the material used. Cheap acrylic stuff will not keep you warm.



70 euros

99 euros

70 euros


In Paris, I saw a pair of very warm gloves made with lamb skin. It was 180 euros. I walked away. I saw another pair of lamb skin gloves for 90 euros. Whilst The Husband gasped in shock, I pounced. Everything is relative. I really wanted a pair of very warm gloves, and this pair was 50% the price of those I saw in Paris. They are not synthetic. The lambskin really keeps my hands from feeling the biting cold. The problem is in how to care for them. I will need to preserve them carefully.

I've always been reluctant to buy high quality winter wear. The last time I looked, a cashmere sweater was 1000 euros in Bologna. That was when I decided to learn how to knit. I figured that by knitting a cashmere sweater for The Son and The Husband, I saved 1800 euros. The Daughter does not trust my taste. She refused to let me knit her one.

I am thrilled to find such beautiful cabled sweaters for 70 euros in a little nondescript shop inside Saint Malo old town. The Husband will also need to travel more for work to Northern Europe. So, all this will ensure he stays warm and does not look too much like a wino.

90 euros

If readers are interested in good quality winter wear at reasonable prices, do check out the contact below. The shop has an online presence too. 








2 comments:

Rachel Tan said...

I love winterwear - heehee.

The problem with wool coats is the weight. A knee length coat would be extremely heavy. However, I think one cannot beat the formal look of a wool coat. Cashmere coats are way too expensive.

I was never a fan of the puffer coat look and hence foolishly never explored down coats. Esp for petite women, it is very easy to be overwhelmed and lost and shapeless in a down coat. But really, it's very very light and keeps warm for how light and thin it is. Goose down is generally better than duck down. Apart from the fill power, it's also how much fill they use, but the higher fill power, the more warmth for the bulk. We didn't invest in expensive pieces (I would if I am travelling to Europe often) - ours are all 550 fill goose downs. I know many people do not support fast fashion - but there is a good reason why Uniqlo's ultra light down sells so well - it's a fast/relatively inexpensive way to build a basic light down collection in vacious colours.

The biggest problem with down is that rain/water renders it absolutely useless. and all seams are not waterproof. Wool is more water resistant. So I guess many do pair a light rain jacket with an ultra light down.

I am trying not to get attracted to winter accessories like scarves and gloves (pretending not to see) - otherwise I might just go crazy with them too haha.

It must be super fun in Europe now!

Petunia Lee said...

In the family, I was always the one with the Uniqlo doudounes. The others did not like the look. The Daughter got herself a dressy wool coat for work in London. The Husband also got himself a wool coat for work in Europe. I succumbed to peer pressure and bought me a cheapo wool coat off of Shein, and left my long doudoune at home. I had to buy a real wool coat before the Berlin temperatures turned me into a popsicle.

The Son found a Uniqlo doudoune off of Caroussell at half price. That has kept him going till now. This week, it snowed in Cambridge, and he talked about feeling cold indoors. So, I decided to top him up with a sleeveless doudoune. The French brand of doudoune (JOTT) actually manages to do dressy doudounes suitable for pairing with suits for work. Their long doudounes for women also look good. It is a bit pricier than what you can get in normal stores but it is good quality, and yet not in the stratospheric levels of luxury. Sensible, well made and stylish doudounes. Highly recommended.