LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, December 5, 2019

Good Man

Today, I plucked up enough courage to "interrogate" one of the workers at my favourite braised duck stall. When I started frequenting the stall, talking to him was somewhat stressful because he had a very thick PRC accent, and spoke very fast. In those days, I was still not used to the smells and sounds of Chong Pang. This stall has 4 people manning it. Making eye contact is enough to overload me, much less having to decipher spoken words in thickly accented Mandarin.

If I saw him on duty, my heart rate would go up. I preferred to buy from the other fellow whose Mandarin I could better understand.

I am such a busybody. There were so many questions I wanted to ask him about his life as a recent immigrant to Singapore shores. Today, I plonked myself in front of him and asked all my questions.

It turns out that he was naturalised as a Singaporean, via his Dad. His Dad came here to work in the construction sector and brought the entire family over, along with his 16 year old son. This son did not like to study. So, at 16, he started working in hawker stalls. He met and married a woman from his village back in China, bought a flat, had 2 children. He said, "When she married me, I had nothing. Now, we have everything."

Apparently, this would not have been possible in China today. Properties are expensive. Dowries are exorbitant. Men cannot afford to get married in China these days. This was a revelation to me. It seems odd to pick a spouse just for the fact that he can give you a house, a car and a big bank account. I mean, what if you don't like the way this rich fellow smells? Besides, if one really wants to marry for money, why settle for just a man with ONE house? I would shoot for a man with an entire commercial building, a driver, 5 residences (each in a different country) and domestic staff in every residence.

You know, like Mrs Melania Trump?

The issue is whether one can bear to have conjugal relations with a Mr Donald Trump. Ewwww!

Then again, who am I to say what is wisdom. I am, after all, the stupid woman who quit her job to stay at home to work for free, allowing my Mother-in-law to own what is me and mine. It would never have occurred to me to ensure that The Husband get ready a house, a car and a huge bank account before I married him.

I quite like this man. At the very least, I can respect him. He dotes on his daughter. He is steadfastly loyal to his marriage. He is proud of his son. He carries himself with a quiet and humble dignity. He also takes pride in having built his family from scratch. Yes... there is a great deal to respect about him.

I wonder if I dare to collect the stories of the other people who work at Chong Pang Market.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should start a series on stories about humans of Chong Pang Market.

Petunia Lee said...

Ok ok... I try. It is a little hard because the hawkers are so busy, and if you get in their way, they'll yell at you. So, I must wait for the right moments to come along. LOL!