LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, August 4, 2019

Chai Tow Kway Teow

It all started when a craving for chai tow kway (fried carrot cake) hit. If you don't know this dish, click HERE. Hawkers that sell this dish also dish out fried kway teow mee from the same wok. The risk of gluten contamination from the mee, is so high that I have not had chai tow kway in close to 5 years.

So, I decided to make my own. 

Since I did not want overly oily chai tow kway, I bastardised it by baking it in the oven. It comes out looking like a frittata, which I proceed to mix up. This was a hit with the whole family until The Son said that I should improve it with minced pork. So, I bastardised a classic dish by adding minced pork. 

Then, The Daughter said that it would be better to use kway teow instead of carrot cake. So, I further bastardised the dish by switching out the carrot cake and replacing it with kway teow. Unfortunately, the strands of kway teow dried up and became hard inside the oven, even as the egg in the middle of the dish failed to cook properly. It tasted like some sort of Chinese carbonara - unctuous and creamy. It had been so bastardised that the dish was no longer anything like its illustrious ancestor.

I sent my Chinese carbonara back to the kitchen to be fried in a cast iron wok. What came out was a hit with everyone. And now, we have a new dish at home - fried chai tow kway teow.

Baked chai tow kway.

Fried chai tow kway teow.




No comments: