LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Another Grumpy Hawker At Chong Pang




I cannot read Chinese so I don't know what the stall is called but you have a picture above should you need to find it at Chong Pang Food Centre.

The stall makes fish soup the way Piao Ji Fish Soup makes it at Amoy Street. I love Piao Ji Fish Soup so much that I once dragged The Husband all the way to Amoy Street and queued up for an hour. See HERE. Thank goodness I have a more than satisfactory simulacrum in Chong Pang Food Centre. I've gone nuts, eating this everyday since Monday!!

It is sooooooo gooooood!

The man who runs this stall is super grumpy. Some time ago, I asked if the fried fish pieces were coated in flour. With an irritated look, he yelled at me, "Sure got one lah!" That spooked me enough that I did not dare to queue up. It was not the yelling that frightened me. Hawkers yell at me all the time. I just have a face that makes hawkers grumpy. It was the flour that frightened me. If the fried fish is coated in flour, it will make me sick with diarrhoea and tummy cramps for a week.

The Husband encouraged me to try this stall's fish soup. He was intrigued by the queue. Now, I regret that I did not try it earlier!

I have resolved to charm this hawker into submission too! Some timely chocolate cake diplomacy and avocado diplomacy have turned all the grumpy guys at Chuan Kee Boneless Braised Duck into smiley faces who speak gently to me, and when the queue is too long, I am exempted from queuing. Teeheehee! One of the guys is a natural comedian too (with a style like Trevor Noah)! So, for every plate I order, I get a Laugh Out Loud joke to go with it.

In general, male hawkers tend to be very grumpy. I wonder why. Does testosterone make people grumpy? It is much much easier to charm a female hawker. Female hawkers warm up real fast, and they are not so ready to yell at me. Male hawkers need a lot of persistence and determination to charm into submission. If the food is good, and the queues are long, it is well worth the effort though!



No comments: