LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Naughty Children

I like naughty children. They remind me of me (and the things I used to do)... and my son - HERE. By "naughty", I mean kids with a mind of their own and a strong will. At this moment, in my classes, I have one child who has variously, got into trouble in school for...

- kicking his classmate in the neck
- trying to strangle another
- trying to kick his Principal.

Yet, with me, he is an angel. I have never seen him misbehave in my classes. Of course, he is very often a smart ass, apt to figure out schemes to outwit me but hey... let a kid win sometimes eh?

Adults very often forget what it feels like to be a child. You're smaller. You're weaker. Adults boss you around all the time. The only way to get around is to be smarter than the adult. However, adults always react so badly when they find out that you've outsmarted them. They get angry.

There really is no need to get angry. If your kid is too dumb to outsmart you, then when you are old and retired, he/she will be too dumb to look after you. I always smile and look pleased when it is clear that a child has gotten the best of me - like HERE.

I lose with pride (since my kid is so clever), and do not get angry.

Of course, I am not easy to outwit. Anything these kids have done and thought of doing, Dr. Pet has done it before. I already know what naughty thing they will do before they do it, so it is relatively easy to preempt. Sometimes, I collaborate in their naughtiness. When The Son (years ago) wanted to drape a white sheet over a basketball and hang it over the wall, I was all for it! When The Son (years ago) took an Ikea table top and rafted on it up and down the pool, I silently cheered him on! Then, I made apple pie for the condominium guards to appease their anger. Once, I gamely pulled my long hair over my face and stood at the top of the staircase, in the dark, on one of the nights when The Husband came home late. That was the first (and only time) in my life that I heard The Husband scream.

It is so much more fun to join them in their naughtiness than scold them for it.

Unfortunately for me, The Son grew up and became serious and responsible. I sometimes wonder why he turned out that way because I was often more than willing to be his partner in naughtiness. Happily for me, I can now naughty along with other people's naughty kids.

It is such a pity that parents always scold naughtiness. Really... if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em!!


No comments: