LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Pesticide Free Vegetables

I am moving my family towards a mostly organic diet. This is costly so I embarked on a vegetable garden. Today, 30% of the vegetables we eat are home grown. I don't use pesticides so we sometimes share our greens with little bugs, which I think is a good thing.

In time to come, I hope to reach 80% self-sufficiency in vegetables and then buy the rest from the pesticide free hydroponic farm 5 minutes away - Oh Farm at Bah Soon Pah Rd (just across the road from Sembawang Air Base). Going organic greatly reduces my exposure to xeno-oestrogens (present in pesticides and growth hormones). Oestrogen encourages the body to lay on the fat and hold on to it. It also contributes to heavy menstrual bleeding and in the long term, too much exposure to oestrogen can lead to cancer.


Bell pepper

The leaves of this whatchamacallit serves up a nice garlic stir fry. The neighbour
gave me permission to cut those branches that grow over the fence.

Lady's fingers. 

French beans.

Spinach.

Xiao bai cai.

Tomato

Mugwort


Earthworms. I feed them vegetable scraps which they convert into worm poop 
and worm pee for use as fertiliser.


4 comments:

Malar said...

Wow! your vegetables really look fresh and pest free too! Do you net them?

Petunia Lee said...

Nope... I don't net them. They get eaten by little bugs sometimes.

Trif said...

your vegetable garden is beautiful! I have been a silent reader of your blog, and am delighted to see that big garden of yours. I dream of having a garden where I can plant my own vegetables, but I live in a flat with no direct sun streaming in, and less space for plants so to speak..

Petunia Lee said...

Thanks a bunch, Trif.