LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Water Kefir

I wrote about milk kefir HERE. Please read up on Healing Crisis (or Herxheimer Reaction) HERE.

Water kefir contains different strains of bacteria. The recipe is 1 tablespoon of kefir grains + 1 cup of water + 1 tablespoon of unrefined sugar or molasses. Do not use white sugar. The grains feed on the minerals in unrefined sugar or molasses.

Kefir grains that I strained out of yesterday's 1st fermentation. The first fermentation is purely unrefined sugar and water (24 hours of fermentation time). Do note use tap water. Use mineral water or filtered water that has had chemicals removed. By the end of this time, there is very little sugar left in the water. There will be plenty of probiotic bacteria and yeasts.

I wanted to make jackfruit kefir. I chopped up 2 bulbs of jackfruit and added it to yesterday's 1st fermentation to get another 24 hours of 2nd fermentation.

On the left is the 1st fermentation (with kefir grains). On the right is the 2nd fermentation (with jackfruit). By tomorrow, I will have a drink that tastes like jackfruit cider. I have tried apple, pear and pineapple. I love pineapple best. I shall soon be trying ginger for ginger beer.


I really like the taste of water kefir (compared to milk kefir). It is like a bespoke soft drink. However, thanks to the candida overgrowth in my gut, water kefir can be kind of iffy for me. If there is still too much residual sugar left in the brew, it aggravates the candida. Hence, I need to make sure that as much of the sugar has fermented away as is possible.

Due to the temporary effects of the Healing Crisis, please start drinking kefir is small quantities (e.g., 2 tablespoons a day).


2 comments:

ying said...

Hello! I wonder if you are still consuming water kefir because if you are, I’d kindly like to see how I can purchase some from you so I can kickstart a healthy lifestyle too! Let me know :)

Petunia Lee said...

So sorry... I am not into selling water kefir grains. There are FB groups where it will be easy to get free grains.