LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Seamingly Smitten

1960s Retro Cushions (limited edition)

Soft flannel baby blanket

A fair bit of research shows that women working in corporate are less successful generally than men (comparing pay and position). Women who own businesses however, seem to do better than men who own businesses.

Lately, I have begun to hang around with ladies (moms... naturally) who for the sake of work-life balance (more like in order to teach their kids what schools test and have no bandwidth to teach properly) have left good jobs, and started businesses of their own. And ummm... they make as much (sometimes more) than when they worked full time. AND they have time left over to look after their children.

I'm so proud of my friend D. When I met her a decade ago, I thought she was this hard driving corporate sort. When I met her again in a family environment, I came to know the many other rich layers that made up this very GOOD and GODLY woman. I suppose every corporate sort (man or woman) comes with layers of richness that one will never experience as long as one evolves with them in boardrooms and meetings.

D loves to sew.

Imagine that! I was surprised to say the least. It was hard to imagine The Boardroom D behind a sewing machine. But well... the evidence was strong. Her Facebook pages were replete with photos of her many quilts of fantastical designs and beautiful colors. Unbidden came to mind the image of D running a shop in the picturesque old quarters of Venice, inside the small streets off the Grand Canal... with weavers and potters and painters and makers of Venetian masks and beautiful crystal fountain pens.

Picture taken from HERE.


When D finally set up shop HERE, I was thrilled. I bought a baby blanket all softness and air. On bad days, I just like to cuddle up to softness. Then there were the retro cushions (see picture above)  that I fell in love with. And now, I'm eyeing this Animal Farm Quilt and Pillow Set.

D's online shop is bad for my wallet.


4 comments:

Blur Ting said...

I love the fabrics! So colourful and cheery. Too bad my kids are not into such things. When they leave the coop, I am going to change all the furnishings to bright bright colours!

Petunia Lee said...

Ting - She can custom make too. Just let her know your theme and the feel you want.

Anonymous said...

a multi-faceted lady...artistic!!

Petunia Lee said...

Theanne - She's a lovely gal!!