LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Thermal Pot


I made ikan bilis soup stock with my thermal pot yesterday, and the results floored my helper, Joy. She raised an eyebrow at me when I told her that we would make soup by bringing the water to a boil and then inserting the pot (on the right) into the insulated sleeve (on the left).

We took out the inner pot and boiled the water again after 2 hours (to replenish the heat) and then insulated the pot for another 3 hours. The 2nd boiling took all of 3 minutes on the induction stove top because of the residual heat still in the soup. The resulting soup was flavourful. The meat and cartilage on the knucklebone fell quite off. The soy beans and ikan bilis were fat and soggy. Sceptical Joy was very impressed. She hadn't believed me when I said that one could boil soup without a constant fire.

For those readers who wish to buy a similar pot, I got mine for $90 (instead of $200 to $300) because it is not a well-known brand. Mine is also not a vacuum design. I was afraid that a vacuum design might be fragile. If you drop it and a crack introduces air into the vacuum, the whole sleeve is useless. And if I remember right, the vacuum design is more expensive generally. My insulation sleeve has a thick layer of insulation material instead.

Perhaps the insulation material is less effective than a vacuum but if you don't mind taking the pot out to boil the water after 2 hours, you'll still get a decent pot of full-bodied soup stock.

I am looking forward to making brown rice and barley porridge for breakfast. Just heat and insulate before bedtime and voilĂ , warm and fragrant porridge in the morning!! I hope it'll work though because I ain't getting up in the middle of the night to boil the porridge twice!! Anyhow, I'll let you all know when I've tried.

6 comments:

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh.. Petunia! I was going to blog about this!!! I bought mine at a sale for $49.. and am really floored.. because I made some soup in the morning with soy beans and it was still warm when I came home at 8pm!

Blur Ting said...

Yup, it works like a dream. They also come in handy when I attend pot luck parties or bring hot food to picnics.

Malar said...

The Thermal pot looks so handy! Your soup sounds yummy!

Petunia Lee said...

Malar - It's really good! I look forward to saving a lot on my electricity bill!

Ivana said...

My mum uses one. She boils chicken soup at night, and by the morning, it is ready to drink. There was no need to reboil and the soup is still warm. This is during winter time, so I don't think you need to reboil it 2hrs later.

Petunia Lee said...

Ivana... Ok thanks!