LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Tapenade that No One Likes


Here is a spoonful of tapenade. The original picture comes from here. It's a paste made of black olives, anchovies and capers... and it normally is delicious. A wonderful mixture of tart, sweet and salty. It makes a great spread for crusty bread.

I made a whole bunch of tapenade last week. The Daughter pupils widened as she bit into the fragrant "tartine" (toast with spread) and then she politely commented "It's nice but a bit too exotic for me". The Husband said more bluntly "It's horrible". Little Boy made a face and went back to his fragrant plain white rice.

No one liked my tapenade because I had put in half a lemon instead of 2 teaspoons. It tasted like olive flavoured wasabi.

But olives are expensive so I hit upon the idea of using it in the bread dough, (olive bread), in the marinade for roast chicken (olive roast chicken), a few discreet drops in sandwiches.

I tell you, it makes all the difference in the world. I tried a teaspoon of my tapenade in my cream sauce and the family loved its full-bodied fragrance and special tartness. Phew! I am so relieved that I don't have to throw the whole lot of tapenade away!!

4 comments:

Malar said...

I never heard about Tapenade before... Anyway you are really creative to add it into other dishes! No food wastage!

Petunia Lee said...

Malar - Thanks!! The olives and anchovies were expensive so I really tried very hard not to have to throw.

Ivana said...

Oooh... call me the next time you make tapenade.... Je l'adore!

Petunia Lee said...

I looooooove it too! I eat it toast, and on spaghetti, and with egg, and with steak... C'est bon bon bon !