LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Scones... Made 'em!!


I made 'em scones. Yes, yes, I did! I made the clotted cream too!! I must say that they looked just like in my dream. I am terribly pleased with myself. I always thought scones (and clotted cream) were the height of culinary genius and I never ever tried to make them.

Now I have, and there's nothing to it really. One more Petunia mountain conquered before she dies. Unfortunately, this binge means 72 instead of 36 laps in the pool.


Recipe for Scones


450g (3 cups) self-raising flour
1 tbs caster sugar
80g butter (cubed)
200mls whipping cream, at room temperature
1 egg
Self-raising flour, extra

Preheat oven at 200DegC.
Mix flour and caster sugar. Using fingertips, rub butter into the flour and sugar mix. The mixture must resemble bread crumbs.

Use a fork to beat the egg into the whipping cream. Pour the mixture all at one go into the flour mixture. Use a wooden spoon to make cutting motions into the flour so that the cream mixture binds the flour together.

Pick up the dough lump and knead sparingly. Roll out 2 inches thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut rounds.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.


Recipe for Clotted Cream

125g mascarpone
300ml thickened cream (for whipping)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoons granulated white sugar
Mix everything together and beat until stiff.

Alright... I confess. This is not real clotted cream. Real clotted cream is a thick yellow cream made by heating unpasteurised cow's milk and then leaving it in shallow pans for several hours. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms clots. So says my reliable source, Wikipedia.

I couldn't find clotted cream at Cold Storage so I thought I would make my own. Then I realised I couldn't find unpasteurised milk so I looked around for a cow. No cow. In the end, I made a pretend clotted cream using mascarpone cheese and thickened cream.

No comments: