LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Roses Red as Blood


I've never liked roses. A nationally acclaimed rose garden that covered a few acres of land bloomed right next to The Husband's college. In spring, roses the size of my hand bloomed with ostentation on every bush in every possible colour. I walked often in that garden but never really examined the roses in detail.

Rather, it was the spring sunshine and cool breezes that drew me. Often, I would find a sunny spot on a bench to curl up with a book, or some study notes. After 3 months of winter, the sun lifts the spirits remarkably.

Knowing what I now know, I should have smelt the roses too.

When I started a garden, roses were depressing to grow. They were susceptible to spider mites and fungal attacks. And no matter how hard I tried, I was lucky to get blooms the size of my fingernail. And then, my roses died. Always! I decided that roses had too high maintenance personalities and stopped growing them together. I mistakenly thought that they were all beauty and no substance. A woman with no other charms but her looks. I only used their petals to decorate desserts.

But my gorgeous new book of herbs tells me that roses are great for lifting the spirits, calming anxiety, settling the stomach and remedying heavy internal bleeding. Gee... I didn't know! The rose is a woman of substance too!!

It so happens that I have been losing a great deal of blood in the past 6 months. As each month passes, I have grown weaker, paler and more prone to fainting spells. So, I popped over to the stores to get dried roses to make rose tea. I don't know if it works yet. I shall have to observe what happens to my body.

3 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Oh dear, you must strenghten your body!

Roses can be quite difficult to grow. I have found success with one variety that thrives in our local hot climate. The rose petals are small and the plant can grow quite quickly into a tall straggly shrub. It flowers all year round too.

Petunia Lee said...

Yeah... that's probably the one I killed. Small rose petals.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

oh.. i like roses with honey. Yum yum