LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Termite Protection?

Almost everyone I know who have had experience with renovating an old house has advised me to pump anti-termite chemicals into the foundations. Since these are intelligent people with experience, I am inclined to take them seriously. It would be most unwise to try and save a little money only to be saddled with pest infestations every other month.

However, I do not then understand why my architect would advise against termite protection, saying that termites can fly in from the patch of jungle opposite my house... or from the neighbour's house, and protecting the foundations of my own house is thus futile.

So I sit here wondering who is right? If blog readers have any wisdom or experience to share that can help me make up my mind, I would be so very appreciative.

4 comments:

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh.. I'm very surprised too.. I think termite protection of your foundation is important.. but you'd still need regular inspections by pest control companies to check and protect against those they fly in from other places.. At least.. that's what my parents did for their place.. But I'm no expert. I thought this article is pretty helpful though.. http://www.ca.uky.edu/ENTOMOLOGY/entfacts/ef604.asp

Petunia Lee said...

Yeah... a couple of people emailed me and also said the same thing. Though termites can fly in from elsewhere, the fear is that they make a nest in the foundation. Once the nest is in there, the termites will keep looking for food in the house and nothing of wood will be safe including roof support and cabinets etc...

Yeah... I think I need to be more wary of my architect's advice.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

or maybe u should change your architect. if he can give such poor advise now, u won't know if he'd make worse ones in time to come.....

Petunia Lee said...

But he comes with such great references. Two of our friends worked with and loved him. I wonder if he advised so because I had told him that I wanted to keep the existing floor and that we didn't intend to pile... Hmmmmm...