LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Dilapidated New House

Our new house is more dilapidated than I had remembered. Back when we were viewing to buy, I had formed the impression that it was in a live-able condition... I guess because someone was living there. Going there again, I realised that I cannot live there without first making some major renovations.

The rooms are too small. Those need to be enlarged, and that means the house has to be extended into the garden. Parts of the ceiling are mouldy, which is probably a sign that the roof leaks somewhat... so the roof needs to be changed. The interior of the house is so dark that one of the bedrooms is in pitch black darkness at noon. We'll have to put in a skylight. There are not enough toilets.

I will not... I will not... I will not... regret the decision to buy this house. I like its location and don't people always say that you buy a place for its location, and then fix everything else? So, I will be a conscientious house owner full of happy optimism and pour energy into fixing the house. And money... Ooooh... a hand clutches about the heart of the frugal and penny pinching Petunia Lee, and gently squeezes.

The Daughter and The Husband drew up a rough to-scale floor plan, and devised a new floor plan. What a relief that these two are so excited!! With this floor plan, I can close my eyes and visualize the house as we would like to live in it. Now THAT is inspiring indeed.

Since I will need all the advice I can get, I organized a pre-renovation party for ladies who are interested, are good at, are experienced in house renovations... and with all this help, I hope I won't end up making too many mistakes!!

6 comments:

Blur Ting said...

This situation makes me think of Frances Mayes of Under the Tuscan Sun. You'll have loads of fun moments I am sure. I think it is nice to add in your own touches than moving into a house that is fully conceptualised and totally done up by someone else.

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

if u'd like any Fengshui service, just gimme a shout. =)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Isn't it nice to be able to design your own house.. skylights... floor length glass windows for kitchen and dining area.. a special corner for Milo.. wow. I'm dreaming already.. Can't wait to see it! :)

Petunia Lee said...

Ting - I very much enjoyed that movie too. I watched it 3 times!!

Petunia Lee said...

Fry - Thanks for the offer!!

Petunia Lee said...

OKC - Yes... now that I am over the initial feeling of "feeling stupid" that I made a stupid decision, I am starting to get quite enthused too.